• May 3Follow Your Roaring Red Newspaper on Instagram: @Chhs_Newspaper :)

• May 3Fine Arts Showcase: May 10th at 7 p.m.

• February 21Congratulations to the Chemistry R&D students advancing to state!

New Kid on the Block

Sabrina Turner & Meilin Morefield, Head of Video & Head of Sports and Photography

The intent of this article was never to offend anyone. It is purely the
retelling of one student’s opinions based off of his first hand encounters.

Ever wondered what our school’s student experience is to someone from the outside? Do we really have some of the best teachers in the nation? Are our students really some of the most positive kids out there? Lastly, is Colleyville Heritage any better than an expensive private school? To find out, we interviewed a junior who was new to our school his sophomore year. This student would also like to disclose his name; he’d much rather be referred to as Mufasa.

Mufasa came to our school from a Christian Academy in Texas which he had spent his entire educational career at, since transferring to our school. The initial difference Mufasa had noticed was the compared school sizes.

“The size difference is huge. At my old school, my class alone had only forty-five people. So I came here and saw like five hundred people in my class and thought: ‘That’s more than my entire school in one class.’ My whole school was probably about four hundred and sixty-five people or something like that.”

Not only does CHHS have five times the number of students Mufasa’s old school had, but we also only hold grades ninth through twelfth. While his old school “was one year old daycare to twelfth grade.”

“I like it so much better over there; the teaching aspect. Basically, everyone knows each other.”

This leads us to our next question: How does our school’s teaching staff compare to others’?

“The teachers, I can’t blame them because I think it’s hard to have that many students and try to know all of them. At my [old] school, teachers are borderline family because everyone knows everyone. So they know how to interact with every single individual student. But here, they’re just like ‘Here’s your homework, listen to this lecture, and go.’ There are a couple teachers that are different. Like Ms. Mcclanahan, Mrs.Popasalazar and Ms.Ellis. A lot of people don’t like Ms.Ellis, though. I think the problem is that she acts like an actual teacher. Because, at least from what I’ve experienced, teachers who are that young usually act more like seniors, and that’s what people expect. But she acts like a normal teacher and I think people don’t like that. I liked her, though. I didn’t have any problems with her.”

Possibly the most noticable difference between private and public schools today is the educational attention teachers are able to give their students. In most other public schools, this is an obvious problem that drives many students to transition to a private school. However, at Colleyville Heritage, previous private school students; such as Mufasa, say there are some teachers here who make paying a fifteen thousand dollar tuition seem unnecessary. Nevertheless, our teacher quality is not able to speak for our students’.

“[I like the kids here, they’re] just a little fake, but nice. This school’s filled with fake but nice people. As in; at least they try to make an effort to be nice, even if they’re not necessarily comfortable with you. As for Grapevine, they’re just a bunch of mean people. Here comes the worst part, alright, Grapevine.”

This is where we unintentionally transferred over to discussing the other high school in our district; Grapevine. While it may not add to the specific question at hand, it’s still relatable because Mufasa took a course at the Grapevine facility.

“After I got friends here, Grapevine was a whole ‘nother thing because I didn’t know anybody. Because of this, I sat alone at lunch.”

Mufasa had lunch at Grapevine because his schedule inconveniently placed his lunch period at the same time he had class there.

“Next thing you know, these three senior girls come out of nowhere saying ‘Come over here we’ll be friends,’ randomly. And I thought ‘Okay, I’m not doing anything else.’ I thought they were friends, it was a good time, and then all of a sudden they just left, for no reason. They didn’t even say anything. They were so fake. So I sat alone at lunch for another two and a half months. But then, I finally found a group of friends who may or may not have thrown pizzas at people. But that’s Grapevine in a nutshell; just a bunch of unwoke, uncultured people.”

The tension of the rivalry between Colleyville Heritage and Grapevine seems completely unnoticeable from the outside eye. But to students who enter the district, it’s unavoidable and almost contagious. While still civil to each other, the opinions from students on both sides sound all too similar to Mufasa’s.

Finally, we asked Mufasa if he had any advice for students anxious about joining our school.

“Finding other kids who are new makes life easier. Also, try to make friends with people already here.” If you’re confused on how to do that, he added that “if you are fake at any public school, you’ll have friends faster.”