• May 3Follow Your Roaring Red Newspaper on Instagram: @Chhs_Newspaper :)

• May 3Fine Arts Showcase: May 10th at 7 p.m.

• February 21Congratulations to the Chemistry R&D students advancing to state!

Interviews with Student Directors

Gabriella Hsu, Contributor

Lights, camera, action! GCISD’s very first GHS Movie Night features four original works by the Audio/Visual Lab Productions 2 Class, ranging from an Office-style comedy to an action-packed mystery. The entire curriculum of the class centered around the process of making movies, from scriptwriting and storyboarding to filming, editing, and marketing of their products. Here are a few exclusive interviews with the movie makers themselves:

What is your movie and what is it about?

Quanah Angeles, lone creator of “7 O’Clock Innuendo”: My movie is about an epileptic kid that finds himself hallucinating after stopping his medication. The kid goes bonkers and begins to spike in creativity.

Nicholas Chevalier, director of “The Revealer”: My movie is called “The Revealer.” It is about a kid who is gifted with an extraordinary power to see into the future but is unable to control it. He one day witnesses a murder, and him and his best friend must race against time to apprehend the murderer before he is able to commit the crime.

Luis Beas, director of “Polarity”: My movie is a Sci-Fi Mystery movie and it is about a teen who has been having weird nightmares about a man in a hood. He figures out he is from another dimension and seeks to destroy the teenager’s world.

Dante Valle, co-director of “Polarity”: My movie is called Polarity and it is about a boy who finds out about an alternate universe where his counterpart is evil and is trying to bring negativity into the world.

Jack Neal, co-director of “Film Club”: The movie my colleagues and I made is named Film Club which follows a group of students making a movie of their own. As personalities collide, it’s becoming questionable if this movie of theirs will be any good…

What was the hardest part of the process of moviemaking?

Quanah Angeles, lone creator of “7 O’Clock Innuendo”: The hardest part of making my movie was trying to keep up with the deadline and the length of other peoples films. Also with having to change my script because of how picky I am with my own film.

Nicholas Chevalier, director of “The Revealer”: The hardest process was probably getting the actors to come together on the correct day to film. People have schedules that you have to take into account, plus, most of the people in my class were acting in each other’s films.

Luis Beas, director of “Polarity”: I believe that it was the story part of it. Trying to create a narrative backstory for each of the characters and figuring out where the pieces of the puzzles fit in this story.

Dante Valle, co-director of “Polarity”: I believe the hardest part in the movie making process is getting a vision of the story, and bringing it to life, allowing people to see your story the way you intended to them to see it.

Jack Neal, co-director of “Film Club”: The hardest part in making this movie is making deadlines. I think our group can collectively agree that we focused on what we thought was more important (whether it be filming or organizing footage) and could easily get side tracked.

What was the most rewarding or unexpected part of the movie-making process?

Quanah Angeles, lone creator of “7 O’Clock Innuendo”: The most unexpected part of the film was the disapproval of some of the film.

Nicholas Chevalier, director of “The Revealer”: The most rewarding part of the process is probably putting a lighting effect on the finished product. The film goes from raw footage to a decent looking project instantly.

Luis Beas, director of “Polarity”: I think it was the outcome of the movie. My co-director Dante Valle and I worked very hard on the Visual and Special FX that we knew it would come out great. We also thought that some of the camera shots that we got were very rewarding as well.

Dante Valle, co-director of “Polarity”: I think that seeing the audience watch your creation and their reaction was very rewarding.

Jack Neal, co-director of “Film Club”:  The feedback at our premiere night was enough to make it all worth the while. I could hear the audience laughing and giving positive feedback as our movie played.

Any other things you like to include or anyone you would like to thank?

Quanah Angeles, lone creator of “7 O’Clock Innuendo”: Yaro… It’s just been 6 months of hell and everything’s been so difficult. So it’s really hard to remember everyone. I want to thank Yaro for helping me out and same with Nick, even though he wasn’t in the film… Maybe he didn’t make the cut… I’m not sure… It’s so hard to think… I want to thank Yaro, Arienne, Cole… I want to thank Yaro and Peyton and Gabbi.  

Nicholas Chevalier, director of “The Revealer”: I’d like to thank Mr. Harris, because he helped us make the movie we truly wanted to make. He is a symbol of strength and dedication, even in the face of adversity. He helped make our visions possible.

Luis Beas, director of “Polarity”: I would like to thank my AV teacher, Mr. Harris. When he first announced this project, I was super excited to show people my storytelling abilities. Honestly, without him, I would have never been able to finish my film. The night before the premiere, I didn’t want to show my film because it wasn’t finished with the editing process. He told me that you have to stop editing to appreciate what you have accomplished and [I] will live by those words till the end of my days.

Dante Valle, co-director of “Polarity”: I would like to thank the AV class as well as Mr. Harris, for helping us through this process, and showing us all the steps a filmmaker goes through in order to make a movie.

Jack Neal, co-director of “Film Club”: I would like to thank my group for sucking up with each other, settling differences, and staying focused on our common goal of making our movie.

All in all, the movies were fantastic and the movie night was a success! Though there were a few mishaps, the young movie makers definitely didn’t expect the positive engagement of the audience as well as the tears, laughs, and congratulations that they got. Hopefully, this will become an annual thing at GCISD and we’ll be expecting more from these talents in the